UNITED KINGDOM : Investment Options
1. Tier 1 Investor Visa
The Tier 1 Investor category is available for non-EU individuals making a substantial investment in the United Kingdom to allow them to settle as quickly. A Tier 1 Investor Visa is specifically designed for wealthy foreign nationals who wish to relocate to the UK and invest a minimum of £2,000,000 in the UK economy.
- Successful applicants are granted an initial 3 years and 4 months stay in the UK which can be extended for further 2 years only if all requirements are met .There are also program for £5 million and £10 million with shorter investment terms.
- Investor Visa applicants are permitted to be accompanied by their spouse and children under 18 who can take advantage of the same benefits as UK citizens. English language proficiency is not required.
About UK Tier 1 Investor Visa
The Non-EU Nationals who have at least £2 million pounds available and intend to invest at least £2 million into specified investments, such as government bonds or shares in UK listed companies. These £2 million can be held jointly with or by their spouse or partner.
The funds can be either their own funds or loaned funds from a UK regulated bank where they have net assets in excess of £2 million. They will need to apply for visas in their country of residence. Application is assessed based on Point Based System and requires the applicant to score sufficient points to meet requirements.
Five years residence in the UK for investment of £2 million;
Three years residence in the UK if investment of £5 million or
Two years residence in the UK if investment of £10 million.
Investors will need to demonstrate that they have resided in the UK continuously throughout the period without any significant absences. Investors can spend up to 180 days (six months) a year outside the UK. Any family members who have also been issued visas as dependents can apply at the same time.
The requirements of the Tier 1 Investor visa?
- Investors must have £2 million under your control in a UK regulated bank, or
- Have net assets exceeding £2 million and have £2 million in the UK.
Investment can be made for 5 years in the UK and at least £2 million must be in UK government bonds, UK equities or loan capital in active trading UK companies. Property investment companies or offshore companies are not allowed.
Accelerated routes to permanent residency are available if investment is increased amount of £5million or £10million which allows for settlement after 3 years and 2 years respectively.
How to qualify for the Tier 1 Investor Visa?
To apply under Tier 1 Investor Visa, one must pass points-based assessment &must have maintained the investment of £2 during the full period.
Applicants have at least £1,000,000 of their own money in a regulated financial institution in the UK, or
2) United Kingdom: Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa
UK’s Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa is one of the most popular immigration schemes for Entrepreneurs with an investment of £200,000, one can start their own business in the UK, with a family visa of 3 years which can later be extended for another 2 years. Eventually, after 5 years the family can apply for settlement.
The initial visa will give you 3 years in the UK and, if during that 3 years you can show that you met certain criteria; you can then apply for a further 2 year extension visa. Following the 5 years you will have the option of applying for Permanent Residency (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK.
What are the requirements of the Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa?
The Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa is suitable for you if you want to set up a new business, or invest in an existing business, in the UK. The basic requirements for the initial visa are:
- You have £200,000 available to invest in the UK (or £100,000 if you are part of an Entrepreneurial Team of two business partners);
- You can show a maintenance funds balance of £900 (or £3,100 if outside UK) for 90 days prior to application;
- You have the required English language capability (either a National of a majority English speaking country, a holder of accepted English language degree or accredited English language test);
After 3 years, in order to secure the 2 year extension visa, you will need to show:
- You were appointed as a Director of a UK company within 6 months;
- You have invested £200,000 in a UK business via equity or unsecured loan;
- Evidence that your investment has resulted in the creation of the equivalent of 2 full time jobs for 12 months;
Points to score to apply as an entrepreneur
To apply under points-based system and be accepted into the entrepreneur category, one must pass a points-based assessment.
Applicant must score:
- 75 points for your attributes which are different depending on whether you make an initial or extension application; and
- 10 points for English language; and
- 10 points for available maintenance (funds).
If one doesn’t score minimum of 75 points for the attributes and 10 points for English language and 10 points for available maintenance (funds), the application will be refused.
Points are awarded for the following categories,
- Access to £200,000;
- The money is in a regulated financial institution;
- The money is disposable in the United Kingdom.
You will need a total of at least 75 points to be able to apply.
The points available are:
Access to £200,000
The money is in a regulated financial institution
The money is disposable in the United Kingdom
- 25 points are awarded if one has £200,000 of his own money available to make a fresh investment into business in the United Kingdom.
- Another 25 points if your money is held in one or more regulated financial institutions. The financial institution or institutions that provide confirmation of the money available to you must be regulated by the home regulator. The home regulator is an official financial regulatory body in the country where the financial institution operates and the money is located.
- 25 points can be scored in case the money is held in the United Kingdom in an institution that is regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
- 10 points can be scored for maintenance (funds). These will be awarded in case applying to a British overseas entry clearance post for permission to come to the United Kingdom (known as 'entry clearance') and have £2,800 in available money.
- If the application to the points-based system is successful, then applicant can bring dependents (children under 18 years of age, or your husband, wife, civil partner, or unmarried or same-sex partner) with you to the United Kingdom.