PORTUGAL : Investment Options
The Golden Visa
With the changes in the legal provisions of Portuguese Immigration Act as at January 2013, there is now a legal resident status, called “Golden Residence Permit”, which is granted to the Foreign Nationals for the purpose of conducting investment activities in Portugal.
Under the Golden Visa program, non-EU citizens simply must carry out one of the investments criteria laid out in the Act to qualify and obtain a residency permit in Portugal. This residency permit will allow the investor to enter and/or live in Portugal and to travel freely within the vast majority of European countries (Schengen space).
Investment Route – The Golden Visa
1. REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT
- When you invest at least 500,000EUR in property, you can apply immediately for the Golden Visa. This does not need to be one property; it can be spread over several properties and also includes co-ownership of properties.
- When you invest at least 350,000EUR in a property (residential, commercial, land, etc.) that was built more than 30 years ago, or is situated in an urban regeneration area. The price for the renovations can be included in this amount. The application for the Golden Visa can be done before the renovation works are finished but it is mandatory to provide the building contract that proves payment of the first invoices, and proof of application of a building license to the local city hall.
2. INVESTMENT IN CAPITAL
- 1,000,000EUR investment to financing instruments (bonds, shares, stocks)
- 500,000EUR of capital investment for acquisition of participation units in investment funds, or for capitalization of small and medium size companies.
- 350,000EUR of capital investment for research activities carried out by the national scientific and technological system.
- 250.000EUR of capital investment to support artistic production/recovery/maintenance of national cultural heritage.
3. JOB CREATION
Creation of, at least, 10 job positions, this requirement may be reduced by 20% (8 job positions) provided the investment is made in sparsely populated territories
The investment should be maintained for 5 years
Who can obtain the Portuguese residency with the main applicant?
- The spouse
- Children under the age of 18
- Dependent children regardless of age
- Dependent parent and grandparents